Heart attack is the eradication or destruction of a segment of heart muscle caused by a loss of blood supply. The blood is usually cut off when an artery supplying to the heart muscle is blocked by a blood clot.
Symptoms of heart attack
The fast fact about heart attack is there feels a congestion and sudden pain in the chest. This can be accompanied by pain in one or both arms, jaw, back, stomach, or neck. Other symptoms of heart attack include shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness, and a feeling of breaking out in a cold sweat. Although chest pain and pressure are the characteristic symptoms, women are somewhat more likely than men to experience heart attack that does not occur in this typical fashion. Instead, some women with heart attacks may experience more of the other symptoms like lightheadedness, nausea, extreme fatigue, fainting, dizziness, or pressure in the upper back.
Causes of heart attack
Causes of heart attack in men
Majority of men are at a high risk of developing heart disease. According to the AHA reported in 2013 that only a quarter percent of men fulfilled the federal guidelines for physical activity in 2011. They also estimated that 72.9 percent of U.S. men aged 20 and older are overweight or obese. And about 20 percent of men smoke, which can cause the blood vessels to narrow. Narrowed blood vessels are a forerunner to certain types of heart disease.
Some of the causes of heart attack in men are:
- High intake of saturated fat.
- alcohol abuse or excessive drinking
- high cholesterol
Causes of heart attack in women
Normally chronic chest pain is the major symptom of heart attack. Unlike men, Women tend to have subtle chest pain symptoms and show different causes regarding heart attack. Some symptoms like Neck, jaw, shoulder, upper back or abdominal discomfort; nausea and vomiting too. Major causes of heart attack in women are:
- Women with diabetes are at greater risk of heart disease than are men
- Women’s hearts are affected by stress and depression more than men’s. Depression makes it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle and protect the heart.
- In smoking, women gets more affected than men do
- Low levels of estrogen after menopause plays a significant risk factor for developing cardiovascular disease in the smaller blood vessels (coronary micro vascular) disease
- Broken heart syndrome is another cause of heart attack in women which is characterized by sudden shock or pain by the death of any loved one. It can also happen if you’ve any physical illness or surgery. It can cause heart attack in women.
- High blood pressure or diabetes during pregnancy can stay for a long term and can cause heart attack
- Women with inflammatory diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, may also have a higher risk of heart disease.
One month before a heart attack, your body will show you signs – here are the 6 signs:
It has been reported that your body will give warnings of a heart attack before six months of occurrence. Have you experienced any of these symptoms? If so, you may need to schedule an appointment with your health care provider.
If you are a person who gets indulged in physical activities more and has a busy schedule, then you are more prone to get tired. Deprivation of any physical activities, yet you get tired easily, then that might be a danger signal for your heart. It is not natural to get enough sleep, eat well, and not exhaust yourself in physical activities; yet feel exhausted.
If you experience restlessness during sleep, if you feel extra thirsty while sleeping, then it’s time to consult a doctor. Your subconscious mind might alert you to sleep but you need to frequently use the bathroom. You should not take this symptom carelessly, rather treat it carefully.
Breathlessness or short of breathe is another sign that you might have a weak heart. When your heart does not get enough oxygen, you can feel short of breath.
Bloating and indigestion
If you have a discomforted stomach and bloating is a common, then you might have the danger of heart attack. Intake of spicy food too aims in causing indigestion. You need to consult the doctor if the symptoms are severe and long lasting.
- If you are having any increase in your anxiety level, then you might have a weak heart. You need to consult your doctor for that.
Weak or heavy arms
When your heart does not receive sufficient oxygen to function, it can send impulses to you spine. When this happens, the nerves that are interconnected between your heart, spine, and arms send impulses that cause pain in your arms. If you experience numbness in your arm, you may be having a heart attack.
There are many treatments too that can be given in an emergency to heart patients. Firstly you need to call an ambulance for it. There are two immediate aims to the initial treatment for a heart attack:
To relieve pain and shock
You can relieve pain and shock through injections of strong pain killers such as morphine. This also helps to relax your breathing and ease anxiety. You can also try Oxygen therapy to help with your breathing and help your body to get enough oxygen. Drugs to stop sickness and nausea (anti-emetics) can be beneficial too. To restore blood flow and minimize the amount of heart muscle damage (this is called ‘reperfusion’).